Friday, October 18, 2013

Teenage angst...

Teen angst - is that what we are calling it these days?  The life of a teenage girl (my lovely daughter is 15) is soooooo difficult.  I think it is much more difficult than when I was 15.  Let me put this in perspective:
  • we didn't have instant contact with anyone via text or cell phone
  • privacy was easier without Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram
  • we didn't post every aspect of our lives and relationships online for all to see
  • communication was done in person or over the phone or by the "old fashioned" passing a note in class
  • if we totally embarrassed ourselves (falling down walking across the courtyard between classes) no one caught it for all posterity with their cell phone camera/video to then post online therefore compounding the embarrassment
  • if someone wanted to know if we were in a relationship they asked, they didn't check Facebook

You could NOT PAY ME to be a teenager today.  Everyone in your business all the time, instant gratification - immediately available via text (can I spend the night with my best friend, can I go to the movies after school).  This instant gratification is going to lead us into the future that consists of a spoiled society where everyone feels entitled, I am convinced!

High School these days is much more free than I remember.  If I didn't turn in your homework on time I got a big fat ZERO, but today you can turn it in until the end of the quarter and still get a grade (and a good one too).  If I failed a test, too bad, today you can retake your test to get a better score. 

Life changes so very fast, just remember to slow down and enjoy it before it's gone........

No comments:

Post a Comment