Thursday, May 8, 2014

going grey gracefully.....



“My Redheaded Journey to Embracing the Grey”
~Jaci Spross

My hair was the color that some could only dream of having.  I was proud of my hair and for so long it was my identity – I was “the redhead”! 
I started noticing those pesky grey hairs in my late 20’s and early 30’s.  Then started the comments “did you get your hair frosted”?  One Christmas holiday, after a few glasses of wine my mother and I decided it would be fun to cover those grey hairs with home hair color, people do it all the time, how hard could it be?  Needless to say it was a disaster that resulted in a deep plum color with darker roots and much lighter ends.  I later learned that it’s called “hot roots”, that can happen when you drink alcohol while coloring your hair.  This left me with little choice but to visit my local hairdresser for a fix.  From that moment on I joined the colored hair society.  The beautiful auburn red hair of my youth became a color I strived to achieve and had very limited success at.  For the next 10 years I colored my hair every 4-6 weeks, there were times I thought about just quitting and going grey, but everyone convinced me I was too young! 
As I matured and aged, my kids grew up (now they are teenagers) I decided I wanted something more natural.  I hated how much money I was spending trying to hold onto my youth, I was constantly fussing out over the grey roots that inevitably showed up every couple of weeks.  After much internet searching and internal contemplation I decided I could do it!  What did I have to lose?  If I hated it I could always go back to coloring.  My hopes were high though, my father went a beautiful silver grey at age 35.  So with the hopes that mine would be as beautiful as his I jumped in with both feet.
I began my journey on September 14, 2013 and while my journey has not quite ended (I still have about 3 inches of blonde color left) my internal struggle is over.  I am what I am supposed to be, I have found a freedom I never knew before, a freedom to be “me”…the real me! 
As you can see from my photo journey this process was relatively easy for me.  I am convinced that there are two important things that made my journey so simple.  1) having a very talented hairdresser and 2) beautiful hair - I am truly blessed with thick, white/silver hair – thanks Dad!

Here is my photographic journey through this process of transformation.  Not only did my looks transform, but my attitude changed as well.  I feel more grown-up, more professional, more like a mom and wife (and I’m still only 45).
September 14, 2013 I began my journey with the support of my amazingly wonderful hairdresser, Trista!  The first step was a drastic cut (from well past my shoulders to above my shoulders) and the addition of a lot of blonde highlights.
BEFORE  9/14/13
AFTER  9/14/13


October 24, 2013 my next appointment was a cut, no color or highlights, the red color from the past had faded nicely as had the blonde.

AFTER - 10/24/13
AFTER - 10/24/13


December 1, 2013 we added more blonde highlights to just the previously colored hair, not the grow-out.
DURING - 12/1/13
AFTER 12/1/13
AFTER - 12/1/13
 
















January 4, 2014 Happy New Year – we started off with just a cut, no more color will be used (hopefully EVER).  

AFTER - 1/24/14
AFTER - 1/24/14
AFTER 1/24/14

February 18, 2014 – just a status update photo….fading and growing out nicely.  If you look closely you can see the grow-out line.

AFTER 2/18/14
AFTER - 2/18/14
 
AFTER - 2/18/14

April 9, 2014 my impatience is showing, I had it cut shorter than usual (the back is really, really short).  There is now about 3” of color/blonde left on my hair, the rest (including the entire back) is all natural!  
AFTER - 4/9/14
AFTER - 4/9/14
   


 





























AFTER - 4/9/14
                                                                                                                                              

                                 
 STATUS AS OF MAY 1, 2014

BEGINNING - September 2013
AS OF - May 2014


 
These photos are striking to me…..what a change. 
I look at the photo on the left and I see someone I don’t “know” anymore. 
Good luck with your journey!


 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!! I have only colored maybe 2 times ever and the grow out frustrated me a lot. My awesome gal Michelle, said we lose the pigment in our hair when we get older. So - I used to be brown.
    AND I have had people stop me and ask me about who colors my hair. It's grey people. It's not highlights.

    Oiy.

    I just don't look in the mirror anymore. I love how you are embracing it.

    Aron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos Jac. I also took that journey last year. I love my hair now and get tons of compliments. Of course I am MuCH older and much grey-er
    Hugs
    . cuz Cindy

    ReplyDelete